One of my favorite things about fall and winter are the specialty hot drinks, my favorite being spiced apple cider. My palette has changed over the years, and hot spiced apple cider is the perfect combination of sweet and spice.
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 4 hours
- 2 quarts (64 ounces or 8 cups) unfiltered apple juice or cider. (I prefer (Trader Joe’s Organic Unfiltered Apple Juice in 64 oz bottle)
- 4 (3-inch) cinnamon sticks, plus more for serving if desired
- 1 medium naval orange
- 2 tablespoons whole cloves
- Pour apple cider into a 2.5-quart or larger slow cooker. (I have an Instapot, so I used that.) Add cinnamon sticks to cider.
- With a toothpick, poke holes all around the orange, about 1/2 inch to 1 inch apart. Carefully poke the cloves into the toothpick holes in the orange.
- Place orange into the slow cooker. Give the juice, oranges, cloves, and cinnamon a stir.
- Cook on low until hot and spiced through, about 4 hours. Since I used the Instapot, I used Slow Cooker / Less mode.
- Serve to guests by placing a ladle and mugs next to the slow cooker!
Usually, I make 2x this recipe for a party. So I double this recipe, and it works great! Cheers!