March 8 is International Women’s Day and this year’s theme is #BalanceForBetter. I’m striking “the balance pose” in support of gender equality. Sometimes the issues seem overwhelming, child marriage, sex trafficking, lack of women representation in government and board rooms, but global impact starts locally. Here are a few ways you can celebrate IWD:
- Ask a woman to run for office. It’s pretty fun. https://www.sheshouldrun.org/ask
- Support a culture that respects dads who want to be primary caregivers. Gloria Steinem said, “The deepest change begins with men raising children as much as women do and women being equal actors in the world outside the home.” My dad was a SAHD and he was pretty great.
- Shopping is activism. Wear brands that are fair to the women who make them. Download the Good On You app on Apple and Google Play. Follow Fashion Rev on Instagram.
- Donate to your local women’s refuge.
- Be inspired by a Ted Talk, such as this one addressing the greatness of girls from Nobel Peace Prize winner Leymah Gbowee .
- Donate to a 4-star charity on Charity Navigator, this year I’m donating to @tostaninc @girlsnotbrides
- Ask the men in your life to share their salaries on Glassdoor. How else are we going to know how big the gap is?
Peace & Salam