Resist art is fun for artists young and old. This project was completed by ages 5-38 in our home. My tutorial is inspired by the Deep Space Sparkle’s Abstract Art lesson and the Jama Masjid in New Delhi.
Mughal emperor Shah Jahan built the Taj Mahal, Red Fort, and the Jama Masjid in 1656 AD. They still stand as some of the most magnificent pieces of architecture in the world.
I wanted my kids to draw a beautiful, intricate mosque without feeling overwhelmed, so I created a simplified version of the Jama Masjid using lines, upside down U’s, and half circles. Using the Draw A Mosque free printable my 5 year old and 6 year old were able to navigate it independently.
A wonderful book to pair with this activity is In My Mosque By M. O. Yuksel and Hatem Aly. The Jama Masjid is beautifully illustrated in the last spread of this book.
– Watercolor paper ( I like Canson)
– Watercolors + brush (I used this set from Crayola)
– Yellow/Gold oil pastel or yellow/gold crayon
– A cup of water
– A paper towel
- Print out my Draw A Mosque free printable.
- Since watercolor paper is expensive, I cut the paper in half to create two 4.25 x 6.5 sheets
- Gather your materials: watercolor paper, watercolors, brush, crayon/pastel, water, and paper towel
- Now you’re ready to watch my tutorial
Peace & Salam,